This Summer I Tri
So there’s this triathlon called The Canadian on September 3….
There are a few obstacles I must overcome in order for this to happen. I am going to set this up as a list of 10 mini-goals with deadlines, and hopefully the magic of writing it down will commit my dream to reality.
- Buy swimming goggles. June 3
- Get in the pool and swim. June 4
- Create a training plan for July and August. June 11
- Get a class package at Iron North and start spinning weekly. June 14
- Swim to the buoys and back at McCreary beach (Yes it’s a place, no word of a lie! No we don’t get in free because of our names…). June 25
- Buy a used bike. June 30
- Learn how to change a blown bike tire. (I might also add I would like to know BEFORE something goes wrong on a ride.) July 15
- Swim 200m in the pool and bike the 20K or so home. July 31
- Sign up for the race! Aug 15
- Buy appropriate swim wear for Mooneys Bay. Aug 20
Thank goodness I feel confident with running, and I’ll be coming off an 8 week speed-based training plan. I know there is so much more to swim and bike than I can read in a couple of books, but you have to start somewhere. I’ll need a helmet, good shorts, a proper fitting seat…do people do sprint triathlon with clip pedals, in their running shoes? Will it be cold enough to need a wetsuit in Mooney’s Bay on September 3? Is my walmart special bathing suit going to be enough for at least my first few pool swims?? There is so much gear I need, hopefully I can find most of it used! If anyone can tell me what I should prioritize, and what I absolutely do NOT need please inform!!
It’s no coincidence that I chose R’s birthday to actually sign up for this race. Two years old, my precious little one, and she has given me more strength and courage than I could have ever found alone. She’s always pushing me out of my comfort zone! 😀 I love you baby girl! This one is for you!!